Hon. Justice Simon Mugenyi Byabakama New EC Chairman
Hon. Justice Simon Mugenyi Byabakama, JCA
President Museveni appointed a new Electoral Commission chairperson replacing Dr Badru Kiggundu, whose term ended on Thursday November 17, 2016.
Ina letter to Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga, HE President Museveni appointed Court of Appeal Justice, Hon. Justice Simon Mugenyi Byabakama to replace Mr Kiggundu who spent 14 years as EC chair.
"By the authority given to the president by Article 60(1) of the constitution of the republic of Uganda, I have nominated the following persons to be members of the electoral commission," the letter by the President states.
The other appointees who now wait vetting by the appointments committee of Parliament before assuming office include Hajjat Aisha Lubega (Vice Chairperson) and commissioners Mr. Peter Emorut, Mr. Steven Tashobya, Prof George Piwang and Mr. Mustapha Ssebaggala Kigozi. The new appointees will join Ms Justin A. Mugabi whose tenure at EC is yet to expire.
Hon. Simon Byabakama-Mugenyi
Justice of Court of Appeal/Constitutional Court
- Born Hoima district on January 31, 1957, Hon. Justice Simon Byabakama-Mugenyi joined the Bench as High Court Judge in May 2008.
- He is a holder of a Bachelor of Laws Degree (Makerere University-1980) and a Diploma in Legal Practice (LDC-1980). Before that, he went through Kabalega Secondary School in Masindi for both his Ordinary and Advanced Level studies between 1971 and 1976.
- His first Judiciary deployment was in June 2008 at the High Court Circuit in Lira as Resident Judge; served as Resident Judge at the Soroti High Court Circuit March 2010, and was re-deployed to the High Court Circuit in Masindi in June 2013.
- In October 2015, Judge Byabakama was one of the six High Court Judges appointed by President Yoweri Museveni to the Court of Appeal/Constitutional Court on promotion.
- Before joining the Bench, Hon. Justice Byabakama, worked in the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) - first joined as a Resident State Attorney in Masindi district in 1981, and was promoted to senior state attorney in 1987.
- In 1992, he was elevated to Principal State Attorney, became Senior Principal State Attorney at the DPP Headquarters in 1996, and he was elevated to the rank of Deputy DPP at the time he was appointed Judge.
- For the many years in DPP's office, he prosecuted quite a number of high-profile trials,including being the lead prosecutor in the famous murder case against the Tooro Prime Minister, John Katuramu; Kooky Sharma, and the rape case against top opposition figure, Col. (Rtd) Dr. Kizza Besigye.
- Hon.Justice Byabakama is married to Dorothy Kasaija Mugenyi and he is a father of six.
Posted 18th, November 2016